Saturday, March 27, 2010

Fiona's Visit a Success!

We are safely home from our trek to the big city.  It had a few glitches but all went well.  The first glitch was my stupidity when I tossed our back pack in the back of the Scion. I did not notice that the thin top strap was entangled with the mechanism that closes the door.  Got to the train station adn the back of the car would not open and when I discovered why, I could not yank the strap loop free.  Being not one to miss a visit for my lack of brain cells I literally walked up to the first person I saw and asked if they had a sewing kit and could try to cut the strap off.  (it helped that this was a woman!)  And she did have a kit with scissors. And her husband manfully used those dinky little scissers to saw through the strap and we boarded our bus with time to spare.

The change to a train was uneventful and fun.  We got seats that faced each other which was reassuring to the kids.  We got to the ending station in the Big City.  It was cold.  Freezing in fact.  And hordes of people were in town for a major league hockey game.  I sure pick my travel dates well! LOL  But I found a security officer who happily pointed me to the right exit (there are many and i wasn't hauling kids around to test them out!) and i called the cab that Jane had said would transport us.  15 minutes they said. The problem being that the kids were turning into popsicles.  8 minutes into the wait, I caved, called and cancelled the cab and hopped in one in a long line of cabs waiting in front of me.  He GPS'd the school and we were there in jig time.

It is a beautiful place.  If you have had kids in RTC's you know there are good ones and down right crappy ones.  And ones that try hard and fall somewhere in between.  I have honestly seen the good the bad and the ugly in my  years with Fiona.  This is the creme de la creme of schools.  It is warm, inviting and well kept.  It is in a fairly tony neighborhood and though a part of the Big City, it is quiet.  No blaring horns etc. Quiet parks around it, nice play spaces, sunny bright class rooms.  I am in love with this place.

We toured the whole area.  We played basketball, we talked.  And the time flew by far too quickly.  No time for scrapbooks or crafts as before we knew it, Jane was letting us know that the cab to bring us back to the train station was on the way.

I know I have more to say about this day.  So much is swirling in my head.  But I am tired and no one wants to read a book.  We'll make it like one of those installment novels from by-gone days!  LOL  (no I am not old enough to remember those, but my mom told me about how a chapter would be in the newspaper each week when she was growing up!)

For now, it is enough to be safely home.  To know that Fiona truly knows we love her.  To know that we can see her again.   

3 comments:

Mama Drama Times Two said...

So glad your visit went well (and impressed that you all made it to the big city relatively unscathed!)

Todd said...

I'm so glad you had a good city visit!

Lisa said...

Tickled bright pink that everything went so well!!!!