Thursday, March 25, 2010

Planes Trains and Automobiles

Well really I think it is taxis, trains and automobiles!  The big trip to see Fiona is coming up on Saturday and her clinicians and I are working hard to hammer out the last details.  We are overprogramming so that there will be no awkward moments.  My kids all respond at their best in situations where they are doing something.  And they will have had a long train ride as well so I am all about incorporating energy burns.  I have to stop at the local craft store tonight to get stuff for a quick and easy cooperative craft.  I am thinking some kind of wall hanging that we could each make and everyone could work on a piece of everyone elses.  We are bringing pictures to add to Fiona's scrapbook. The kids are choosing theirs tonight and i printed mine off this morning.  I chose the picture of my Easter clothes. Since Fiona just went on a shopping trip I thought she would love to see what I got via my mail order shopping trip.  And she really is all about style so I think it will be well received.  We will bring the camera to take pictures.  I will bring lots of healthy and semi healthy snack foods.  My kids eat lots of mini meals when we travel to keep blood sugars stable and tummys settled. 

Apparently when I arrive at the train station in the Big City I can use my cell phone and call a cab company that the school contracts with for vouchers and thus I don't have to pay for the cab to the school.  That is really nice and very helpful.  The idea of either trying to navigate my way there via subway or jumping out into the street trying to find a cab were causing a certain amount of stress on my part.

I am sort of nervous about this.  It has been almost 6 years since we have seen Fiona.  KC was still in an infant car seat when she was moved by the state far away from us and she has had 2 hospitalizations and 2 other treatment placements since that day.  I remember crying all the way back from our goodbye dinner and feeling like some part of me had been ripped away.  Since that time I have always kept in contact with weekly notes, calls when allowed, but this is different.  It feels good. It feels exciting. But scary too.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I totally get why you're nervous. I would be really nervous too.

Sending you hugs and will continously send prayers.

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for you!!

Todd said...

Everything's going to be all right. *hugs*