Monday, March 15, 2010

Spring Approaches

On 3-2-10 (note numerical symmetry!) K and the kids clipped some forsythia branches from the yard and brought them inside to force.  It has been fun for the kids to watch the gradual changes in the plant.  The subtle color changes, the buds swelling, it was all very magical.  And that magic is the essence of spring to me.  The leap that mother earth takes from bare and barren to lush and fertile.  Despite my allergies it is a much anticipated time for me.

Sunday there was a guest choir at church.  When I saw my friend Raven and his fellow singers enter the church I was both excited and morose in equal measure. It was great to see him--we have been friends via a homeschool list since Chet was young. We used to see each other regularly but his daughter is grown now and our homeschooling of the younger kids has led in other directions somewhat.   I was obligated to work in KC's classroom and knew I wouldn't hear their beautiful music.  I snuck in and listened to bits of the rehearsal but couldn't really stay and focus on the magic (yup, there's that word again) of the music.  Part of my mind was on class and what we would be doing with the children.  I am not all that good about staying in the moment.

After church I was washing paintbrushes when my Chet came to me all excited.  Raven wanted me to come into the sanctuary.  My fellow teacher came with me and the rest of my own kids.  And I was gifted with the most beautiful equinox song I have ever heard.  Sound and praise and beauty and joy swelled around us.  Truly I was honored  to receive the gift of music.  For a few moments I watched my kids faces as the songs strains began to transport them and then I gave myself up to the music and just let it fill me.  It, and our forsythia, were the most beautiful welcomes to the coming spring that I could imagine.

No comments: