Wednesday, June 23, 2010

A,B, C

Lissa is finally starting to learn her letters!  I have been stressing over this.  As a homeschooling mom I know that usually everything is fine.  Kids learn at different paces.  KC was on the early end of the curve as he recognized the alphabet before he was 3 and was teaching himself to write letters at 3.  However, Lissa is 3 1/2 and didn't recognize any letter.  I read to all the kids nightly, I play games that involve letters, shapes numbers you name it.  The alphabet is a prominent home made "border" in our living room.  Kind of a  chair rail height so it is at eye level for young kids.  But Lissa is more about trucks and movement.  She even holds books upside down fairly frequently so I could tell that letters had no real defined shape for her.

There are things that Lissa does earlier than KC did too.  Movement areas where she excels with strength and balance, for instance.

But knowing what I know of her pre-natal  history, I worry.  So I have been on a mission the past few months.  Every single book we read from the library has been an alphabet oriented book.  Chika chicka boom boom, Usborne Alphabet Book, Alphabet at the Museum, you get the drift. LOL

It is working!  She now recognizes A, B, and sometimes C. M, N, O, and P  It is a start.  It is progress.  I am slightly less stressed!

3 comments:

GB's Mom said...

How about the letters in her name? Those are usually the first to be mastered.

Todd said...

Good for her, and you too :-)

GasStation Cappuccino said...

Yay for both of you!

If you have a spare moment, look into learning styles, and mutiple intelligences.

Quick summation: Learning styles are basically the different ways people learn. Your daughter might be what is called a kinesthetic leaner, meaning she needs movement to help her remember.

The theory behind multiple intelligences is that everyone is good at something, even if it's not something generally stressed in academic study-- like movement, music, art, getting along with others, etc. The guy who did this study's last name is Gardner... There's TONS about it on the web I'd bet.

I am amazed by homeschoolers... I'm a teacher and couldn't do it. Keep up the good work!