Thursday, June 24, 2010

Multiple Intelligences

First off, a big thank you to Gas Station Cap. who suggested I investigate 'multiple intelligences." I am happy to report that I have and found the concept fascinating.  I had previously decided that Lissa was most likely a kinesthetic learner (as is my eldest, Chet) and have approached our learning situations together with that in mind.  But I had never heard of the concept of multiple intelligences and it fascinates me.  It also very much speaks to my core belief that everyone has a niche, a gift, and "blooms" in their own time and space when properly nurtured.

Last night at the park, Lissa was "playing circus".  We have a narrow plastic border to the play area that we walk on and pretend we are tightrope walkers.  If we slip off we either fall into the lion pit or the safety nets; she tends to change up the result of error! LOL  At any rate, this border is actually a bit narrower than a balance beam and she can walk it for a long time without slipping off.  Last night she decided to add an occasional skip as she went along and STILL did not fall off. (she also has never done this type of thing in her gymnastics class so it was something she thought of on her own.)

  I am in awe of that balance ability at such a young age.  It has its downsides too, from a parenting perspective.  I feel like I am always watching to make sure she doesn't leap gleefully off something too high (say, a cliff!) because she obviously can't gauge such things and like myself, she appears to be a bit of an adrenaline junkie!

1 comment:

GasStation Cappuccino said...

You're welcome!!

I'm glad I could help... I can offer some ideas for teaching her academic concepts using her physical talents... For example, every skip becomes a letter or a mutliplication basic...

Hang in there!