Sunday, June 20, 2010

Fathers Day, Oomas Day and chillin in the 'pool'

I decided not to go to church today.  It is closing Sunday for our UU congregation. Though there are services through the summer they are all lay led and we will not come together again with the full complement of staff (or parishioners) till after Labor Day.  I usually go, but I took the cowards way out.  I saw that the sermon topic was all about fathering.  Totally appropriate since today is Fathers Day.  But since my father and I have a really non-existant relationship, it is somewhat painful to sit there and listen to the poems and odes to good fathers. 

On a happier note I was surprised to find out that today was Ooma's day at our house. Remember that Ooma's Day is sort of a "floating holiday" at our house.  It happens whenever the rest of the family decide that there is sufficient time to properly fete the Ooma!  LOL  Rob leaves for camp next week and I think this also factored into choosing today to honor me as that means that the next 2 weekends we would be pretty busy dropping him off, picking him up and wading through a weeks worth of teen boy laundry.

 K has finished working Saturdays and since I had said I wasn't going to church, she knew the morning would be slower paced and she and the kids surprised me.  They had rehearsed a song, KC made me a story book, Rob gave me coupons for house work, Chet gave me a book light, Lissa made me a card, and my wife made the coolest t shirt with pictures of the kids all over it. I got muffins and tea in bed to nosh on while I admired my gifts--it was divine.

I have also taken Chet shopping at one of his favorite stores.  He shops fairly infrequently as there is not much he needs or wants and he is prone to hoarding flotsam and jetsam which leaves little room for actual belongings.  But he has tried hard and needed to have this so I took him.  Afterwards he gave me a big hug and thanked me in a totally appropriate and spontaneous manner.

KC and I went to a fabric store while Chet shopped.  I had to get supplies for a project I am making for KC's group in church school.  KC had been to the new store recently with K and couldn't wait to show me the "very bestest part of the whole store."  Now keeping in mind that the store holds untold bolts of fabric, umpteen thousand crafting things, and home decorating options, I was floored to find out what the "bestest" part was. . .   BUTTONS!  Novelty buttons galore and the absolute joy of his day!

Came home and it was sprinkling but really hot.  We filled the wading pool and the kids jumped in and out of the pool and shot around the water shooters for a good hour before lunch.  Doesn't get much better than that!

2 comments:

Todd said...

Sounds like you had the bestest day as well. Happy Ooma's day!

GasStation Cappuccino said...

I have no idea what an Ooma's day is, but it sounds like fun!

I too, am not a fan of father's day. It is just too hard when you don't have much to celebrate.