Tuesday, June 8, 2010

A picture is worth a thousand words!


When we went to the big city to visit Fiona, we spent the last 30 minutes or so of the visit in the school's expressive art room. This was a really amazing room with musical instrument, small figures you could play with, and virtually every art medium imaginable.  Including paint.  Lissa adores painting right now. What kid doesn't?  (well, Chet always hated it, but I digress)  She wanted desparately to paint and with only about half an hour of fun available to us, that wasn't a real option.  She clutched a large oversized paint brush and briefly howled her frustration and disappointment.  I told her I knew how sad she was, explained that we could paint another day, and hugged her really tightly.  She can readily go from sad to full tantrum mode, but I have found that a really tight hug helps as opposed to the gentle cuddle that I usually give.

She got it back together and we all started working on our collaborative family tree.  About 15 minutes in to the project, Lissa started getting restive. I knew she was massively overtired so I suggested she take some pictures with the camera.  Usually she takes about 40 pictures of her shoes. She has a shoe fetish my wee Lissa.  But I discovered when I downloaded the pics to our computer that she had a different focus for most of her digital art . . . the picture of the paint containers above and about 15 others remarkably similar! I actually thought it was pretty cool that this action helped her through her sadness and she was able to joke about all the pictures of the paint bottles at supper a few nights later. Pretty cool!

1 comment:

Todd said...

Good job using picture taking to diffuse a situation AND that it was fun.