Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Hopefully not offensive humor

I first need to write a disclaimer.  I have a warped sense of humor.  I also often read email late at night when I am tired.  So a few nights back I read an email from my mother.  She said that she was concerned about the frequency of our trips to the Big City.  She reads the Big City's major newspaper once a week and had seen comprehensive stories on the uptick in violence and drive by shootings.  (all of which is true but not really in the area where we are when we go into the Big City.) But the next sentence in her email was "You are have black children."  I will give you that the upsurge in violence has really impacted African Americans and not any other racial or ethnic group.  However there are also socio-economic reasons and the  behaviors that result from this which cause the situation.  The simple sentence "they are black" in no way accurately and fairly describes the situation. 

So did I write this down in a friendly and informative way?  Did I utilize this teachable moment to help mom see things in a new light?  I wrote back: " my kids are black?  I thought they were just dirty from playing outside!" 

4 comments:

GB's Mom said...

LOL: I made that comment to my mother-in-law once!

Todd said...

You did good. LOL

Mama Drama Times Two said...

bahahaaha!

GrowingUpLost said...

I found your blog through PFlagFosterMom and just wanted to pop in and say hello :)....

I write over at http://growinguplost.wordpress.com

I blog about life in foster care back in the 1990s (as a foster child), and how foster care affected me as a teenager, and made me who I am today.

I'd love to have you stop by sometime!