Friday, June 11, 2010

Winning Again!

Back in April, I won a copy of a book written my my friend and awesome author Loree Griffen Burns.  I had been going to buy the book so when I won it I took the money allocated for the book and "paid it forward."  Loree had a link on her blog  to a book drive that brought books to kids and  schools on a reservation in NM.  I had so much fun choosing books from the kids wish lists.  Ultimately I decided on one fantasy novel to feed the artistic spirit and one scientific one to feed questing minds. 

It wasn't more than a few weeks later when I got my first letter.  Hand written by a child I have never met.  Thanking me for that sci fi book and saying how excited she was that she would have a book to read during the months when school was out.  OMG, my kids and i go to the library every. single. week.  We go to Barnes and Noble just to hang out.  I was humbled by that note.  But also so very touched that a child who had never met me would write a note.

This week, I got a second note.  It thanks me for sending the book Extreme Scientists  to the school and says how much it is appreciated.  In the grand scheme of things, I spent about $20.00.  And touched who knows how many lives.  But my life was touched too.  There is so much about life that sometimes just feels awful. 

The mess in the Gulf that may change our lives and our planet forever in grim ways we can not yet wrap our minds fully around.  Monetary worries and relationship issues.  But the notes?  Good stuff.  Right down to the core because despite the fact that I have never met these children or been to their school, we are connected.  By caring,and the written word.

2 comments:

GB's Mom said...

What a return on $20.00 :)

Todd said...

Sweet. The notes sound really cool.