Sunday, June 27, 2010

Why People buy Eggos

I am one of those weirdos who likes to pronounce all the ingredients in something that I eat.  Or that I feed my kids.  I like to live as gently as possible on the planet, which also means that for a myriad of reasons I have chosen to be a vegetarian.  I am also cheap--I mean, frugal.  Which means that even if name brand waffles are delicious and all the ingredients could be pronounced, they are too pricey for our family.  Rob can eat something like 8 waffles himself, Chet another 6.  This is before KC and Lissa start eating. 

So we have a waffle maker that can cook 6 at a time.  I have only ever finished the waffle cooking marathons that exist in our house.  We use a double recipe and that will give 6 or8 to freeze for a quick lunch or snack.  But I have not cooked them start to finish in this particular waffle maker. (it is our second; the first having been worked to death a year or so ago)  K usually makes waffles for a Friday night supper or a night when I will be late and will be eating something different.  Oddly enough I personally don't eat waffles.

During the summer Kirsty works on Fridays and suppers fall in my jurisdiction.  The kids asked for waffles and I went to make them and discovered that the last of our flour had been used in bread making. It is unusual for us to run out of a staple item like that. But we did.  I was shopping on Saturday so it wasn't the end of the world. (except for the child who hated the ravioli that I served instead!)

So tonight when KC and Lissa asked for waffles, I was okay with it.  K was less so as she had a veggie stirfry planned.  I said I would happily cook the waffles if she did the stir fry for she and I.  I whipped the recipe together--only a single batch since Rob is away--and all was good. . .

Until I cooked the first batch.  I didn't know that K usually greases the iron with vegetable oil.  Heavily.  To prevent serious sticking.  Instead I lightly did the iron with butter.  And forgot to grease the top part.  Waffles stuck. Waffles refused to come out.  I peeled off enough to feed KC and Lissa.  Disguised with cinnamon and sugar for KC and strawberries and whipped cream for Lissa, they were well received.

But the mess?  It took an hour to clean out the waffle iron, and clean up all the detritus from scraping the stuff off the waffle thing.  My wife was not amused.  LOL  After supper I took the kids to the park.  I cooked the rest of the waffles when I got back. 

I left two cooling racks of them on the counter, preparatory to freezing.  I went into the front hall to find out what Lissa and KC were doing.  Upon my return, I saw  our dog.  He was licking his lips and eyeing me warily.  Let's just say, I didn't freeze many waffles!

1 comment:

Todd said...

I love waffles! Sorry you didn't get to freeze any though. Darn dog.