Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Worry Wort

KC is a worry wort.  More so than most of my other kids.  Just now he is stressing over the upcoming trip to Florida which is MUCH closer now!  He is afraid we will miss the plane. He is afraid that he will be scared on the take off because he does not like the sensation of "tickles" in his belly.  We have conversed at length and he is calm, just worried.When you are attached, and have been comforted and raised from birth, that sharing is automatic almost.  I didn't have to go dig the worry out of him with a pickaxe, he jumped into my arms and whispered it in my ear.

But it makes me think about all the internal worries that Rob carried when he first came home. Worries that he never felt safe enough to share, worries that I know Fiona still carries as well.  With Rob, I didn't find out many of them until the past several years and I felt so sad and so inadequate.  Realistically, I don't think I could have done differently than I did.  He needed a quiet, gentle non confrontationial approach.  In many ways he still does. But we have roadways of communication that are much better now.  They are still country lanes instead of super highways (grin) but they exist and they are used regularly.

And now for my worry--Fiona is supposed to call tonight.   I worry that someone will talk about the trip (logical as it is less than a week away) and that it will hurt her all over again that she can't come.   I am going to try and prime the pump with other topics (May baskets that we   made last night, things we have done outside) but they are kids and that is no guarantee.

1 comment:

Cyndi said...

I know the feeling of sadness. We go to Disney at least once a year and we have one kid who we do not take. She just can not handle it no matter what we do so in order to give the rest of us a vacation she stays put. We know she is missing out on so much, but her mental health issues are just so consuming in her life and that stinks. Enjoy your trip!!