Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Fiona is being hospitalized

We couldn't talk w/ Fiona last evening.  Jane said she was okay but not able to talk.  She asked if we could do the call tonight, which was fine.  Then at work today I got an email that Fiona had run off school grounds and her behaviors had escalated and the school was supporting an emergency hospitalization for a med eval.  I am so sad.  I would have to sit down and try to count the number of hospitalizations she has had since we have been family and I would probably miss some.  I hope that they find a bed quickly, something that I know is a challenge.  I hope that she gets to return to the school she is presently attending.  Often things like that hinge on how quickly she is discharged from a hospital environment.  I hope I can find a way to keep at least written contact with her while she is in the hospital--this is often very challenging as I have to rely on social workers bringing the letters to her. 

Because I am Pollyanna (not really, but my family calls me that) I really always hope that things will be different for her.  That this placement will be the one where real healing can happen.  And in many respects I think this placement is her best, perhaps last chance at that occuring.  But healing hurts, and that coupled with her medical issues and her cognitive issues make for such a huge obstacles to overcome.

1 comment:

Mama Drama Times Two said...

Wow. So sorry to hear about this setback for Fiona. Hope you are still able to maintain your regular contact.