Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The last of the prescription saga

I really do believe in universal health care, all snide sarcasm of my prior post aside.  There  are too many people with no access to much needed care and it is a crime that a developed and comparatively wealthy nation like ours does not have this.  However, for me personally, health care is still falling short.  We finally got the scripts today. The pharmacist on duty even admitted that a 24 hour lag in getting antibiotics was not a good thing.  (in all seriousness for my wife, 24 hours with bronchitis can mean she is then in full blown pneumonia; that has happened to us twice)  Luckily neither myself or KC or Lissa were that desperately ill.  Still, the drugstore had the info all along and were just inefficient and not listening to my wife when she was calling about the scripts. Then we got the prescriptions home, and the doctors office had given me a penicillin off shoot, despite my chart indicating that I am allergic to penicillin.  We called and they said I could "try it" and "maybe" I wasn't allergic to it any longer.  Um, I don't really think so.  My reaction was significant enough in the past that i am reluctant to re-visit it.  So I am back to home grown remedies and sadly, nothing has really changed my perception that our health care system is profoundly and seriously broken.

2 comments:

April said...

I'm sorry you had such a difficult time at the pharmacy! I used to go to an independent pharmacy, and when it was later bought out by a national chain, I found that it made a lot of errors and violated its own policies (for example, shouting my name, address, and the name of my prescription across the store when it was ready).
I put off changing pharmacies though, because this one was so close to my work and because I was under the impression that my health insurance prevented it. I found out that my insurance, and most, make it easy to switch pharmacies. I found another pharmacy near my home, and I'm very glad I did. The new pharmacist is excellent, and I have enjoyed "drive thru window" prescription pick-up service 24 hours a day. When I was sick a few years ago, my husband and I really appreciated our "reliable" pharmacy.
I hope you feel better soon!

Todd said...

Sorry about the pharmacy debacle :-( Hope you feel better really, really quickly!