Friday, February 5, 2010

Rites of early spring

My mom wrote the other morning that she heard a cardinal sing its mating song.  It was beautiful.  I told here here in our little corner of N.E. we celebrate the early spring and the lengthening daylight hours by trying to keep our dog away from the skunk that lives under our shed.  It has lived there since Robbie was 5.  Robbie is now 13.  It refuses to move.  We had a wildlife control guy bait for him one year.  Paid $120.00 to watch the guy bait this hav-a-hart trap wtih disgusting things skunks supposedly like (peanut butter and tuna fish eeew!) Every time he put the trap by one of the "doors" that the skunk has made under our shed the skunk would just stop using that door and dig another one.  I got sick of paying Wild Wayne the wildlife control guy. Wild Wayne got frustrated (and so embarrased he spent one afternoon helping us finish building our bulkhead because he felt so darn bad taking money and leaving us with our smelly friend.)  And the skunk stayed. 

And every year in early spring we stock up on tomato juice and massengil douche because--don't laugh--vinegar douche really helps kill skunk smell.

Or so I'm told.  I have almost no sense of smell.  I can tell a skunk has sprayed by eye irritation only.  My eyes are pretty darn irritated by now.  And I was not the one douching the dog.  I was the bottle opener, who passed them assembly line fashion to my wife who was standing outside in the freezing cold.  She would pour the goop on the shivering whining pooch while muttering ugly ephitets about skunks and stupid *&## dogs.  It's mating season for skunks and they are feeling frisky if I am to judge by Blake the dog's sorry condition!  In Georgia, they have Johnny Jump Ups blooming all ready. Here in N.E. we settle for the joy of skunk season!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My husky gets sprayed a few times each year. She loves skunks and treats them like they are friendly little kitties. They don't love her and spray her hard. She is looking at me right now like she knows I am typing about her. Smelly little dog :) Our trick is filling up a spray bottle with peroxide, 2 tbl baking soda and some dog shampoo for the nice smell. Spray it on her and let it soak in for a few hours. Then spray her down with the hose. She even smells good afterwards! And it whitens up the white spots in her fur.

Lee said...

I am going to remember to try this. I just know there WILL be an opportunity! LOL