Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Cell Phone Update

Well as I suspected, Rob could make my phone usable for the non-hearing impaired in jig time.  Unfortunately though I wasn't getting the TTY notice, I was still getting a "call failed" notice.  So I called the phone company customer service and an hour later, the phone again works.  I told Rob it was likely to me that this was a result of his cell phone experimentation and to please not do so in the future. If for instance, he was trying to text (likely) he needed to remember I have not had the phone enabled for this. (true!) It is an emergency phone and we would like to have it work in an emergency.

On the plus side, there was very little crazy lying involved in this episode.  He did of course initially deny touching it or having anything to do with it. (at which point I kicked myself for wording things in such a way that denial was possible even though implausible).  So I switched tacks and asked if it was likely his 3 y/o sister had done it. He grudgingly agreed not.  I did this with every member of the family. Still calmly and finally at the end, said "i guess that leaves you."  That time he agreed.  As I told K, a year ago he would have continued to deny, despite that.  His story would have had no basis in reality, there would have been tears, it would have been even more frustrating than this was. (though talking to four people who likely live in New Delhi didn't rank high on my list of 'fun.') 

So it was all good in the end. . . AND  Fiona called.  She was discharged from the hospital back to the Great School in the Big City.  This is good and also bad. Good because I think it is hugely important for her to see that connections are not always broken when she loses control of herself and of a situation. Bad because the medical community did not have a bed or treatment team available that could accurately assess and treat the needs of a cognitively challenged teen with as many meds and issues and Fiona has.  But she sounded good on the phone and I will hope that perhaps this is just a bump in the road and things will level a bit for her.

1 comment:

Todd said...

doing the happy dance cuz ya got your phone fixed AND Fiona calling.