Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Aquarium Fun

I suspect this won't go to the blog all that well but, K got some amazing pics at the aquarium today.  Watching jellyfish is pretty mesmerizing too, BTW.  We had a really good time.  I was so glad that Chet came with us.  Such excursions are hard for him, and definately take a high level of supervision but I feel badly every time he opts out of a chance to do something.  I can't tell if he chooses to stay home because he feels disinterested, if he feels that he will crash and burn, or if he senses that K gets frustrated and embarrassed by his behavior.  I am way past worrying over much about that.  And in the Big City, there are a lot of people acting really differently so I actually worry a bit less.  As long as his wild gesticulations will not clock some senior citizen, or mow down a small child, I am really not worried.

The younger kids are amazingly well trained to Big City visits, thanks in large part to our regular visits in to see Fiona.  K did drive us in for this trip, which is something I know I could never do. It would have been train all the way if I was doing this.  I am calm about some facets of visiting a big city but NOT about maneouvering through traffic. 

The aquarium itself was amazing.  We spent lots of time watching seals, and a gigantic multi story tank that is large enough to house sharks and sea turtles and oh, so much more.  It was mesmerizing,even for Chet who tends to see things at warp speed.  We bought a years membership as we did the math and a membership for a family our size was only $40 more than the cost of all of us for a one day pass.  This is such a great place that K would be willing to take the 3 younger kids in on her own sometime when they go to a glaucoma appointment for Rob.  His doctor is roughly 1/2 way between our house and the Big City so it would be a fun thing to do afterwards. 

For lunch we walked a bit away from the aquarium and ate at Panera Bread.  My brood is just a wee bit too rambunctious for the slightly tony cafe in the establishment, but Panera was just the ticket.  Something for everyone and we could sit at a long counter and people watch while we ate.  After that we played a bit on the greenway and cooled ourselves in the very cool misty machines there before returning to the museum for the last bit of our visit.  It was magical and wonderful and while i wish I was camping, I am so glad we had the day to do this!

2 comments:

Mama Drama Times Two said...

I just love Staycations! Sounds like a great day to get away and enjoy everything. I'm still so impressed you can maneuver THE BIG CITy with 4 young'uns.

Todd said...

Cool picture!