Monday, August 30, 2010

More visit musings

First off, lest any blog reader think I am a total dunce, I am very aware that Fiona can't really "forget" her past.  However it was her word choice not mine and I think what she means is that she is working on not thinking about the past all the time, not glomming onto the sad things, and unpleasant things, and being more open to the present.  Anyway that is how I interpreted and how I  responded to her statement.

One thing that happened during the trip was weird and off putting.  Sometimes I forget how different our family looks to folks on the outside.  We were stuffed in the taxi driving to the school.  The cabbie was chatting with me and I am congenitally unable to not make small talk so I was definately participating in the exchange.  I told him we were going to the school to visit my daughter when he asked the purpose of our trip.  We talked about something else and then a few minutes later he asked if I was a teacher.  I figured there was a language barrier and explained that no, my daughter was a student at the Great School and we were going to go visit her.  To which he said "but what about these kids?" and gestured to my brood in the back seat with me.  I replied rather curtly that this was my family and these were my children to which he wisely replied how lovely they all were and asked everyone their name or something.  It kind of smoothed the jagged edge off it for me.  Kind of. 

No comments: