Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Fiona Calls even when Jane is on vaca!

I was pretty sure last night's call would not happen. Jane is on vacation and the other staff have in the past been far less reliable in getting the phone call in. but I am happy to report that I was wrong and she called and it was great!  In fact this is the first time I have seen Rob look and sound more relaxed when he was speaking with her on the phone.Usually he pretty frenetically strokes the dog while he makes the call.  Much less of that this week.  Progress is so slow, it is a good thing I don't care as long as it is progress!  KC is super relaxed talking to her.  He adores chatting on the phone anyway and just curls up and yaks so much with her that I have to literally remind him that others need a turn to talk too! LOL  My latest dilemma is that Fiona would like to chat with Chet at the next phone call.  I said OK but now I have to work on prepping Chet.  He and Fiona have never been a good fit as due to their respective disabilities they wind up annoying the heck out of each other.  Fiona is very sensitive and Chet is very blunt. Fiona  has cognitive delays that Chet doesn't, however his autism means he does not he have a capacity for empathy with hers. Sigh.  I am taking a page out of the amazing Jane's book and going to work a "phone plan" with him.  This is something Jane does each week with Fiona.  Maybe it will help keep Chet from saying anything that could be hurtful.  I don't want our forward progress derailed!

1 comment:

Todd said...

Awesome about Fiona! Her convo with Chet will be fine. *hugs*