Monday, September 13, 2010

Musical Self Analysis

Rob and I finished watching the VMA's tonight. We had to tape the last half of them last night and see them tonite.  I am trying to get him to be able to stay up a bit later and still be able to function the next day but he does still really need a lot of sleep.  So we called it a night last night at 10ish. 

Music is a great way to connect with teens--especially teens that otherwise are less than talkative.  They love to share tidbits about the artists they like, dis or applaud as they see fit and tell me interesting factoids (such as Linkin Park did the sound track for the Transformer movies. . . my life is richer for knowing that LOL)  But it is a bonding kind of thing and I enjoy so many kinds of music. . .

The funny thing is that I have always said I have not got the ability to remember songs from the past though.  You know how people have that song from way back in high school that they remember.  It defines their experiences.  Or a song that was playing when they met their love etc etc.  Well I remember artists I liked but I could never seem to remember the lyrics.  Maybe a chorus but that would be it.  K on the other hand would be belting out Billy Joe's Piano Man or Meatloaf's Bat out of Hell and staring at me when I could only sort of bob my head and hum

VH1 has reassured me.  I do not have early onset alzheimers musicalus.  I discovered that although I like LOTS of music, I seem to have a leaning toward hip hop.  How do I know this?  I was listening to a VH1 special on the top 100 hip hop songs of all time.  And I KNEW them.  I could sing them!

So although I enjoyed Billy Joel, and Bob Seger and White Snake in my younger days, apparently my deeper musical leanings are hip hop and r&b.The thing is, that among my friends there was NO ONE who listened to R and B and hip hop.  So the songs that I shared with my friends at school, with K, those were rock songs.  Which I enjoyed, but obviously didn't love enough to remember deeply. Go figure!  This bit of musical psycho analysis is brought to you by VH*1 LOL

No comments: