Thursday, September 30, 2010

Late night musings

Most times I am very much a "live in the present" kind of gal.  I am generally an optimist by nature.  Glasses are always half full to me.  This is not to say that I don't plan for things because I sure as heck do.  Couldn't do Yule for a family our size if I didn't plan waaaay ahead!  But I don't tend to borrow trouble as my mom used to say.  I don't do a lot of "what ifs" when my kids go out to play.  Or when we travel.  Or when I watch the news.

There is one exception though.  Drugs.  I have to confess I worry about drugs a lot.  Maybe it is because I read some of Katie Granju's blog where she details the horrific loss of her beloved son Henry. A mother who parented her son in many of the same ways that I parent my children. 

 Maybe it is because the jury is out on what the incidence is for a child to become a drug user if the first mother was.  There are some studies that say the incidence is higher but in those cases many of the children were reared in that unhealthy environment.  So what I worry about is if the stability of my loving home counters a potential genetic predisposition to addictive substances.  And obviously I don't know, nor can I know for a long time.  But every once in a while, I fret and wonder, and pray.

1 comment:

Todd said...

I believe that most parents worry about this to some extent. I personally only worry about mine getting into harder drugs than marijuana. But conversations about the "hard" drugs have eased my mind in that there isn't any desire to even try them.