Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Non Neurotypical Home Decor

I may or may not have blogged about the disaster that is our kitchen floor.  The short version is that a hidden leak from a newly installed dishwasher caused serious damage and the floor needs to be replaced.  This is the floor that was supposed to last our lifetime when we put it in 15 years ago.  And it might have, as we used VCT tile and a plywood underlayment.  But even quality supplies can not withstand weeks of sneaky water damage.

Dealing with the insurance issues has been an exercise in patience.  They wanted us to go after the plumber who made the mistake.  I work in the business world. I understand liability very well.  But in my opinion I pay a homeowners policy for a reason.  It is for situations like this and it is up to THEM to go after the plumbers insurance if they want to do so.  Not up to me.  Especially since this same plumber fixes my furnace when it doesn't work in the middle of winter.  Quickly.  Without complaint.  And has worked for us for 20 years and this is the first mistake they have made. Everyone makes mistakes. We are all human and imperfect. So at last we have a meeting of the minds whereby I will eat the $500 deductable and my insurer will pay the rest of the cost of the new floor.

So we have moved on from having constant convos with insurance people to actually picking out the tile.  Our previous tile was mostly white with green lines running through it.  Pretty but it shows EVERY speck of dirt.  And trust me, with 4 kids and a dog and a cat, there are lots of um, specks! LOL  Our kitchen island is green on the yellow tone of a green as opposed to the blue tones.  Our other counter is corian and sort of a sandstone color. The walls are knotty pine. 

K and I looked at sample boards last evening and narrowed it down to 3 colors that we liked.  The two we liked the most were golden colored.  They actually sort of looked like the golden yellow of the pine floors of the adjacent dining room. In the interest of democracy we called in each kid and asked which of the two yellows they liked.  They made their choice.  Then Chet came in to vote.  And told us that both yellows look like dried urine.

Um.  OK.  While I realize that Chet has color deficianicies that mean he doesn't see colors as we do, I don't know if this was how he truly sees it or just said for shock value.  At any rate, what I DO know is that he would say this to every.single.person.  Every time someone came over, Chet would say this to them.  He fixates like that.  Now I could personally overlook that, but it was clear from K's response that hearing this even one more time that night was going to send her round the bend.

Our new floor will be green.

4 comments:

Mama Drama Times Two said...

Is that a baby poop kind of green? or more of a wilted lettuce kind of green? Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Anonymous said...

The green floor sounds like an excellent compromise.
Your insurance company should "go after" the plumber, not you. That's part of the service that you pay them for.
I'm an attorney and I deal with insurance companies A LOT. This is surely my punishment for having been very, very evil in a previous life.
In my own personal experience with insurance companies resulting from a cracked windshield, I once had one of their minions tell me that I should have pursued the truck that tossed up the stone that hit my windshield, made the driver pull over and gotten his insurance information. I gave them the license plate number of the truck and the name of the company that owned it but apparently that wasn't enough and now the insurance drone would actually have to do her job.
So sad.

GB's Mom said...

Hopefully, Chet won't connect the green to any other rather not hear about objects.

Todd said...

Sorry to hear about the water damage. *hugs* Yeah, I agree about the insurance company and who's job it is to go get whoever.