Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Back Handsprings?????

Today was gymnastics for Lissa.  We barely made it to class on time because she has to eat before we go or she is so desparately hungry when we get home that she melts down in a truly unbelievably awful fashion.  We have found that mac and cheese give her just the right combo of protein and carbs and then she has a light supper when we come home.

But back to the class.  We did the first exercise which involves pretending one is a tree in the forest that has been chopped down and falling backward onto a mat.  She does this fearlessly, did it for the first time last week and apparently adores it.  So Coach M stepped up the game and taught her how to jump into this backward falling tree thing and happily told me it was to prepare her for a back handspring.  Oh my.  

Then we went over to the straddle roll station and she aced that.  Then to the place where they practice something called donkey kicks, except that with Lissa she is practicing handstand readiness as she does amazing donkey kicks.  (which is no surprised as my wee miss can be totally mule headed; please excuse bad pun.)  Then because I guess Lissa decided things hadn't been "fun" enough she hollers to her coach, "Hey Coach watch this and throws herself backward on the mat sort of putting her hands up behind her head.  If it had been done with more control it might have been a graceful backbend.  It wasn't that but she didn't wreck herself either.  Coach M gasped as Lissa laughed.  I looked at Coach and said "this is my living room, every single day."  I bet she  finally REALLY believes me now that I didn't teach Lissa that dive roll!

No comments: