Monday, September 20, 2010

Camping and Yoga

Our last  camp out of the year is always a get together with lots of friends from two churches.  Like maybe 150 of us.  So clearly they are not all friends--even me, who likes to talk with anyone doesn't know that many people at a single gathering!  There are buildings with rooms that can be rented but that is pricier and noisier than camping.  I know that my brood need to have a place where it is easy and safe to decompress so I have always camped in all the years we have gone.

People sometimes think me odd for finding this a relaxing weekend. I am there alone with 4 kids.  And in actuality the 2 younger made a couple of friends that were with me most of the day Saturday so it was more like having 5 or 6 kids sometimes.  But it really wasn't hard.  And I didn't have to cook as there is a big dining hall with coffee available all day long.  Truly, fresh brewed in a variety of flavors.  Oh my goddess, it was divine!

I even had one father offer to watch my kids for a time so I could relax and do an "adult" thing. His daughter had been with me for most of the day and he wanted to reciprocate.  An adult thing I mused.  After hoping he did not mean go take a shower (LOL) I went and did 1/2 of a yoga class. The class started late and I was a bit nervous leaving Lissa with someone. She is fast, my darling daughter.  The term "greased lightening" is totally applicable.  But she was still in one piece, the sweet man who offered to watch the my kids seemed none the worse for wear, so it was all good.

And I have only done yoga about 5 times in my life but the class was a lot of fun. Every time I have tried yoga it has always been a different form of it.  Sometimes it works for me and sometimes not. I am not very new agey.  I remember one class I did when KC was teeny, like 9 or 10 months old.  He fussed part way through so I put him on my hip for the last part of class.  I was told sternly that I would be unbalanced, my various chakras would never open, my third eye would need bifocals etc.  Well, I exaggerate a little bit but the instructor did say I would be out of balance. LOL  Another instructor had us do a lot of breathing and sitting still. I figure I am pretty proud of the fact that I can move AND breathe and prefer to do something besides sitting in one place huffing and puffing. 

This was actually a pretty cool class. First off it was held on the beach on sand that shifted around under your feet--giving me a good reason for losing my balance in the more challenging poses.  Then there was the fact that the instructor has a martial arts background as do I, so this was a class that had more motion and less looking for my missing eye to waken and such.  At any rate, it was all good.

I am sad that camping is over though.  It is really such fun!

No comments: