Saturday, October 1, 2011

Busy Busy Busy!

A rainy but busy Saturday at our house.  I realized a week ago that poor Lissa had no fall clothes to speak of.  Literally none.  KC "shops" in the boxes of Rob's outgrown clothes that I store by size and season in the attic. I also have a good friend whose son passes down to me really good quality boy clothes for him.  But Lissa, doesn't have that.  And while the year before she could start the season with the togs from the previous year, that is not so this year.  My girl has GROWN!  So it was off to do clothes shopping after our morning of groceries, banking and dance classes. She is set now except for a winter coat.

Then Rob hinted that he wanted a pair of skinny jeans and the store whose selections he was oogling on line exists at the mall so we went there.  I may be young at heart but shopping in a store with bad lighting and loud rock and roll music is not my  idea of fun.  He did find a pair of jeans though. LOL  Then we had to go to a more conventional store because Rob did not have a warm coat.  Got that.  By this time KC was feeling left out as "everyone has something and I don't." (insert whiny tired kid voice here)  Yup, good times!  But we got through it and all made it home alive.

When I got here the mail had arrived and I found a letter from the IRS.  We have been going back and forth since March when I filed my return regarding the adoption tax credit.  I thought people maybe exaggerated about how mean the IRS can be.  News flash--they are NOT exaggerating.  They tried to tell me that not only was i not entitled to this but that I owed them penalties for trying to take it.  Plus 20 percent interest.  Needless to say I did not just whip open the checkbook.  The only bright part in this was that I knew many many other adoptive families were having similar issues.  So I kept slogging on and praying that it would turn out OK. And it did.  I should get my refund now in about 15 days.  (I did notice that they do not pay interest on the refund they have been holding hostage, but I am not going to quibble.)  In fact, if I am lucky I will not have to ever go through anything like this again!

The other funny part to the IRS refund story is that this a.m. when I was on Facebook one of my friends had on a silly chain thing about how October is a special month because it has 5 Fridays 5 Saturdays and 5 Sundays and you had to repost and would have a good financial outcome if you did it in 11 minutes. I usually don't do that kind of thing but this a.m. I had time. . . and then the mail came with good news.  Coincidence or what????

No comments: