Sunday, October 9, 2011

The weary traveler is home!

My wife's plane was a bit delayed last night but she returned home just before 11 p.m.  KC actually woke up enough to give her a hug and know that she was home, before he drifted back into slumber.  K and I sat up drinking tea and chatting and then we both went up to bed.  This morning the kids woke at 6ish and I was all kinds of crazy keeping them quiet because I thought she was still sleeping.  The funny part was that when we came downstairs about 6:30, she was all ready up! 

I am glad she had this vacation. She wanted it very much and seems renewed and recharged.  Her friend seems like a delightful person and seeing the sites in a far away state is certainly cool!  Also the trip I think allayed concerns that K has felt surrounding the plane trip that our family will undertake when we vacation in Mouseland later next year.

Chet's autism make his speech sometimes less than appropriate. His asian indian heritage make him almost automatically part of the profiling that our country allows in the name of safety.  (heavy sarcasm here; please don't get me started on the giving up of freedoms for the illusion of safely).  She had in her mind something I think very Gestapo-esque and him being hauled off the plane or out of line for something minor.  I have reassured her that i plan on carrying documentation of his disability  and how it manifests itself in his behaviors and making our situation well known at arrival at the airport.  To our advantage in a difficult situation, Chet looks physically younger than his actual age and does not look like an adult male so much as a mid-teen.This lends itself to people assuming he is a minor in my care and to feeling less threatened by him.  Chet has also flown with me post 9/11 and we managed it without incident so Pollyanna that i am, I feel sure it will work this time as well.

K was not so sure, but seems more confident now that she has flown for this vacation. And I think my wife brought the southern temps back up north with her. I am loving the temperatures today!

No comments: