Thursday, January 7, 2010

3 Kings Day

I meant to write about this the other day and obviously, my brain cells scattered before my fingers hit the keyboard.  LOL  My kids, especially KC, adore 3 Kings Day.  In a way I feel a bit awkward about it.  We are not latino (to our knowledge!) and we are not even Christian.  So part of me worries that I am permitting or encouraging my kids to co-opt a holiday that isn't really ours so to speak.

On the other hand, I have a lot of spanish friends.  My KC's abuelita celebrates 3 Kings Day, and i was lucky to visit friends in Puerto Rico during festival time many years ago. And although I am not Christian, I think the story of wise men following a star because something momentous and life changing had happened is beautiful.  And bringing gifts to honor, well that's all good too.  And, let's face it, there is the Dora factor.  KC and Lissa both are totally all about Dora. And folks, Dora celebrates 3 Kings Day.  So the folks here in our house did too.

It wasn't quite as well organized as most of our festivities.  That would primarily be because K forgot she was supposed to make a cake.  LOL  I think she is just "caked out" and it flew off her radar.  The kids and i had done decorations and crowns the night before. 

Luckily, my 5 year old said that since we didn't have  a cake, we could play games and the winner of the games could wear the crown.  So that was what we did. First we played the matching game that Rob made for Lissa for Yule.  It is a set of handmade cards (using clip art) of about 15 pairs of pictures.  She loves it.  Then we played the Wiggles Game that she and KC like and then a card game of War.  It actually was  a lot of fun and our gifts?  The time together.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Really cool. Love the game with clip art.

Todd said...

Coolness. A fun holiday you all had.