Sunday, January 10, 2010

Kudos for kiddos

Busy Sunday for us.  Today was K's "mom's runaway day" so she is off somewhere.  LOL  I don't honestly know what she was planning on doing but assume she'll be home by 7 p.m.  Meanwhile I brought the tribe to church and had a meeting afterwards. This meant I also brought lunches for them.  They are good about meetings though. They like it there and with a few rare glitches it usually goes well. 

Today felt exceptional actually.  The minister sought me out at fellowship to tell me that Chet spoke well during the service.  There was a sermon talk back I guess (I was involved with the children's program so didn't hear it) and Chet did very well. This is huge as though my eldest is very bright, his lack of understanding of emotions and appropriate sharing have made for some interesting church experiences over the years.

KC usually is in a class with other 5 and 6 year olds.  For the month of January our church has an "inter-session" where the entire Sunday school works on a project together.  He has found the large group aspect to be a bit daunting.  9-11 kids is fine with him, upwards of 40 is not.  Last week there was a music event that he chose over the Sunday school and he sat in service with me to hear Jim Scott.  This week I wanted him to go to Sunday School.  It was clear he was anxious so I agreed to go too and brought Lissa.  They both cuddled up with me and were very appropriate.  They sang, they participated, they just needed a touchstone of family to feel safe in the larger community .

Later at the meeting one of the moms said that she admired that I was able to accept where my kids were and guide them with gentleness to the next level.  It was a beautiful compliment and has warmed me all day.  Since I can't get my house temps above 60 right now, I'll take warm wherever I can get it!  (smile)

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Woohoo for all the kids and you too. :) This is great news!

Mama Drama Times Two said...

That is indeed an awesome, well deserved compliment!