Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Resolving Resolutions

There is always hue and cry over resolutions.  I have friends who denounce them because they say that no one ever keeps them.  I have other friends who embrace them with a fervor that makes me shudder.  I am somewhere in the middle.  They tend to work for me.  Mostly because I think if I really say to myself, hey , this is a priority, I make it so.  So I am not fervent, but I think that having that conversation with myself (In my head people, I am not walking down the street speaking in tongues!) is fairly helpful.  So here is what i came up with that I need to focus on the for new year.

1.  Use my vacation days.  Seriously I don't know what happened last year but I didn't use all my vaca time.  Specifically I think I lost 5 or 6 days.  That is fairly lame as I don't receive any compensation for not using them and they can not be rolled over.  So I resolve to take off 15 days in the coming year.  I think last year I was saddened by the fact that we really didn't have the finances to camp as much as we wanted to and that the weather didn't cooperate for a number of planned trips.  I have decided that even if I just hang at home, I am using those days!

2.  Once a month I am going to work on the kids scrapbooks.  These mean so much to them and it is much easier to keep up on all of them with a couple hours once a month instead of the marathon end of  year stress that I let happen in 09.

3.  I am going to lose 10 pounds.  OK that isn't a whole heck of a lot but you need to understand that I have never (really, honest, pinky swear) been overweight in my life.  Until this past year i could wear clothes from high school.  10 pounds will bring that back.  Not that i want to wear my high school clothes.  I just want to be that same old healthy weight that I have always been up till now.  So less snacking is in my future for 2010 too I think.  (I confess as i write this that i am dreaming of saltine crackers)

That's it.  I am not planning to scale Everest this year.  Won't run a marathon like another cool blogger I know, won't get nominated for a Nobel prize.  But if I can accomplish those 3 goals, I will be happy.  Easy to please, aren't I?

2 comments:

Mama Drama Times Two said...

Yeah to the 10 pounds! But... Friends over 40 don't let Friends over 40 wear their High School clothes. Ever. Pinky swear?

Todd said...

I think those are very attainable goals, good job :-) Never been a resolution maker myself cuz I just don't feel the need. Maybe because I try to "change" on the fly? Whatever. lol