Friday, January 22, 2010

Haitian thoughts

I am watching the help for Haiti concert on TV.  I have to take a break periodically (hence the blogging) because the images of Haiti keep reducing me to a pathetic weepy eyed mess.  Since what my hands are doing (or supposed to be doing) is folding tissue paper for piece work--this is not good.  But this outpouring of love and help for the Haitian people is good.  I have tried to get through on the phone line to donate and it has been busy every time. 

My tenant who went to Haiti to visit family has still not been accounted for.  This makes the situation feel very personal for me.  Looking at the pictures of the children who have been separated from their family, whose family may never be found, makes me cry too.  Please understand that I am not saying there should be a mass adoption of Haitian children.  But the mother in me cries for children who don't have loving arms to hold them, who can reassure them.

My boss thinks that we should worry about the homeless people in our own country instead of reaching out to the Haitians who have lost so much.  As long as there is one homeless person in the states, he feels we should focus or energies and resources inward.  Um, needless to say, we can't talk about this situation much.  He feels badly about our tenant who is in Haiti but this really is his ideological position.  I can't wrap my mind around that.  I want to do for our own, but this so vastly surpasses anything anyone could imagine for need.

I have listened to people tell me that they are sick of stars "yapping" about how much they are giving to the relief effort.  You know what?  I would rather hear about that then what club they went to, what they wore to a premiere.  I think that at least at times like this, these people seem to remember that rightly or wrongly, they can do much both financially and to set a tone for giving.  If people want to donate becuase they might get Reese Witherspoon on the phone tonight, or because they think George Clooney is hot, well so be it.

OK, I have to get back to work now.  Wipe eyes, fold paper. Pray for Haiti.

No comments: