Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Gender questions

My eldest always chats with me in the morning when I am getting my clothes for work. Something about the fact that my head is stuck in the closet makes him very comfortable asking me song lyrics, my opinion on greenhouse gasses, or what we might have for supper.  Today he took it up a notch and asked me if I thought he was bisexual. Um, sure I was thinking about that very topic while i was finding my black sweater!  LOL

I know that there was a transgendered speaker at church on Sunday.  I didn't hear the sermon as I was helping with the youth programming, but I assume this is what started the thought process.  I explained that it wasn't really a question I could answer.  You couldn't look at someone and decide that. I will say in his neuro psych evaluation when he was a late teen, he did test as 'gender confused.'  However the reality is that he has never really expressed much interest in either sex in that manner. He has never had a romantic relationship.  He does dress in ways that could lead one to assume he might lean toward being gay.  He loves big earrings, lots of jewelry, flowy clothing, painted fingernails and the color pink.  However, I explained that any of these things in and of themself do not a gay or bisexual person make. 

I suggested that he have a private conversation with the fellow who spoke at church on Sunday.  I know this man and I am comfortable that he would be open to conversing with my son and that it would be unlikely that anything Chet could come out with would be really startling to him.  I did  have to explain to Chet that this should be  a  private conversation.  He should not expect to stand in fellowship hall after service and have this conversation.  It deserved attention and thought and none of this could happen if they were trying to shout over the hubbub of coffee hour.  We practiced a bit how he could approach P at church and ask for time to speak with him.  He seems quite animated about doing that.  We will see what unfolds.

2 comments:

Todd said...

That's cool that he's comfortable enough to talk to you about it. Hope that P can help him out. You're cool!

Lee said...

Thanks Todd! :-) And if you remember Raven from long long ago PHS day, P goes to the pagan church that he and Bella have started! (as well as to our church)