Saturday, January 16, 2010

Valentine Decorations


It is time to start decking out our house for another one of my favorite holidays--Valentines Day!  Now I know there is a significant segment of society that thinks this is a "fake" holiday generated by Hallmark.  History would show otherwise.  :-)  But history aside, I personally think a day that makes us think of ways to show our love for others is always a good bet.  I decided that this year we needed an official Valentine mailbox.  Our plan in years past was to make heart pockets that hung from everyone's chair in the dining room.  Over the 4 to 6 weeks leading up to Valentines Day they would gradually be filled with notes, drawings etc.  But, this year Lissa is far more active and mobile and not yet old enough to understand that she should not rifle all those pretty heart pockets.  So I found a Christmas mailbox up in the attic and covered it with construction paper and shiny silver hearts.  It can all come off easily if we ever want or need to use the mailbox for Yule.


Then Elisabeth and I made this little centerpiece for the dining room.  We got the kit on sale at the end of last years Valentines Day.  I tend to go the day after an event or the day before and look for the 60 per cent off sales to put away for the coming year.  This was such  a find.  Most of the decorations were peel and stick but a few things did need a low temp glue gun to adhere.  She had the best time though working with me on it.

Today the weather was glorious!  It was that day or two that you get in New England that remind you that someday you WILL be warm again. The sun shone brightly, there was a nip in the air but not a freezing feeling. The kids played outside, it was so great.  It ends tomorrow I guess but I'll carry this memory forward for a few weeks at least before I forget again that once upon a time I was warm!  LOL