Thursday, January 21, 2010

Audit Day and computer woes

My computer is acting wonky.  Sigh.  I have run a virus scan and it quarantined something but it is still not right.  I am not tech savvy. This requires someone who is.  I will have to call the guru that fixed it a few years ago.

On the plus side, my annual housing audit was today and it went very well.  Intellectually, I know that both my coworker and I work hard to follow the multitudious regulations that are involved in our line of work.  We endeavor to balance human decency and beauracracy--sometimes two very mutually exclusive things!  Sometimes the desire for that balance is what gets you into trouble.  This year, it didn't. We received excellent marks and are set for another year.  (wiping brow)  I am glad it is over.  I am tired.  I am also in the process of writing more than 300 new leases (due to some of the aforementioned beauracracy) and in the midst of filing for a rent increase on the subsidy portions of our rents.  To say there is barely time to breathe is an understatement.

But it is nearly Friday.  The weekend beckons.  And tonight the kids and I decorated the house for Valentines Day. We began the process a few weeks ago but decorated in our house tends to mean it isn't done till every square inch screams whatever the holiday is.  It doesn't matter to me that it is garish and overdone.  They had so much fun with it. And it was so very much what I am trying to give them.  As they hauled the decorations out of the box the conversations were peppered with "remember when I made"  "will we have xyz again?"  "Lissa, let me tell you how Rob did this. . . " That is the magic of celebrating to me.  When my kids are grown and on their own, I hope that the first time they see a holiday display when they are shopping that it triggers these happy memories for them.  That for just a moment they are transported back to a simpler time when a paper valentine garland rocked their world.