Thursday, May 13, 2010

S is for Stagestruck!

Tonight was the dress rehearsal for KC's dance recital which is Saturday and Sunday afternoon.  He is a bee in a bevy of flowers.  Not a bad gig when you are the only boy in the class!  LOL  Actually when the whole school was there we saw that there are actually 6 or 7 boys and one adult male who were in performances which I think was cool for him.

However, he got more and more nervous as we waited for his turn to perform. For some bizarre reason his class (5 and 6 year olds) are number 23 out of 27 dance numbers.  In the good ole days, when dinosaurs roamed the earth and I taught dance lessons for my aunt, we ALWAYS let the wee ones perform early.  So they would be cute happy and not crying. 

The rehearsal went long.  KC's class was supposed to go on stage to practice at 6:30.  We went on an hour later than that which means KC was dancing when he is usually sleeping.  This is a boy who likes to sleep so it was not a good mix.  He was ultra clingy and crying while waiting the last 15 minutes.  They finally decided they would break their no parent back stage rule and let me stand there.  Good call.  Actually I think twice I had him all calmed down in line after doing healing hands with quiet energy and helping him visualize a warm safe bubble of love around him.  His breathing slowed, he closed his eyes and was peaceful . . .  and then this well meaning mom walks by and says :

SO KC ARE YOU EXCITED TO DANCE?  in this ultra loud ultra happy voice and the magic was broken.  I forgave the dim wit the first time.  The second time this happened I wanted to find a happy place to send her to.  ROFL

Surprisingly, once he got on stage, he did wonderfully.  He really knows the dance and he really loves to move to music.  I hope that will get him through the weekend.  I hope something will get ME through the weekend as Saturday I have to work back stage.  K is working and Lissa and my mom have mutually decided they will not want to sit with one another in the audience, leaving me to figure out how to fold Lissa into the back stage melee--I mean experience!

1 comment:

Todd said...

Well, it would make sense to let the youngest ones go early. Glad that in the end he did well though.