Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Hey, we're not in Kansas!

No, we don't live in the midwest but last evening our city in the North East was the epicenter of a tornado warning.  We've had watches before and situations with microbursts and straight line winds, but true tornado warnings are extremely rare here.  One may have touched down in a small town where I spent a few years living on my own when I first left home.  A picture of a funnel cloud was snapped on the line between our city and another smaller community.  Luckily that cloud did not touch down.

All the warnings about the tornadic potentiality came after I put Lissa and KC to bed.  The news said that one should go to the cellar, or at least the first floor of the house.  OK our cellar is an unfinished affair.  It is dark even at the best of times.  I also confess that I am claustrophobic and truly, the idea of being down there and stuck there freaked me out.  I would have sucked it up and done it but K felt that we would freak the kids more than perhaps the situation warrented.  Instead we decided to gather them in our lower stair hall with is a totally protected area in the center of our home. 

Except that when we went upstairs to get the kids. They were both asleep.  It was thundering to beat the band and raining so hard you could not see across our street. And they were out like proverbial lights.  Then the question was do we waken them or do we leave them.  We decided we would open the bedroom doors and I would sit in the hall outside their doors (they are literally right next to each other) and if things worsened I would scoop them up and bring them downstairs to the safe zone we had set up.  We also explained things to Chet so that he would join us quickly if the need arose.  Without explaining ahead of time, he would be likely to stand there and ask 50 million questions.

Rob and K sat together downstairs and at 8:30 the tornado warning was lifted as that storm cell with the rotational winds had moved past. We had another severe thunderstorm right afterward but it didn't have the same type of winds so it was safer in that regard. 

Luckily, we are all fine, but it was a bit of an adrenaline rush there for awhile!

2 comments:

Dia por Dia said...

I think I was in the same general area last night where I spent an almost kid-free day visiting a friend from NY who's kids are attending an ice skating "camp." I headed back from Gardner just as "severe" weather reports were announced and the sky looked beautifully ominous. Glad everything turned out ok.

Todd said...

Glad you all are okay and no tornadoes touched down.