Monday, July 5, 2010

Recap of the 4th

Our 4th was festive and fun.  Greg and Wendy are great people and I love how when they are here, each of them finds time to spend one on one with each of the kids.  With a brood my size, that is no small achievement.  It does make for a long visit though and by the time it was over, Lissa was a screaming, unhappy mess. Too tired to really even eat supper, furious that she was showering and going to bed. But today is a new day, sunny and bright and sometime today we will hit the beach.

My mother called in the midst of it all.  Luckily our friends were busy with the kids and I felt comfortable taking the call.  My sister had called my mom to tell her about my dad's wife who had just passed away.  Sis is having a hard time because no one from the first two marriages except her has a relationship with him. I have tried to explain to Sis that I am here for her but that he and I have no relationship other than biologically.  I said it a whole lot more gently but I don't think it helped.  The kids from his second marriage were apparently less gentle so she moved on to my mom.  Who predictably was upset.  And who didn't suggest we all get together and sing Kum Bay Yah.  Ah, the joys of family!  I think I got her calmed down and got back to the party.  Later I emailed sis so hopefully all will be well.

No comments: