Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy Fourth of July

It is hot here in Central MA and we are gearing up for our BBQ with the kids godparents.  It is an annual event and a lot of fun. They really love our kids and I wish their schedules and ours allowed more time togethr than we typically get. 

The kids and I decorated the back yard today.  It looks festive and cute.  I had this cool idea of lining the steps to the backyard with red white and blue balloon clusters tied onto stakes.  (that will eventually go to the garden for our tomatos).  It looks really sweet but the aforementioned heat is causing the balloons to explode one by one.  I hope a few are left by the time Greg and Wendy arrive!  LOL  There are sparkly star garlands decorating the umbrella on the table, and I have criss crossed plastic streamers in flag motifs across the numerous tables.  Because I suffer from Marthanity a bit, there is a bowl with a gorgeous blue hydrangea floating in it on one of the tables which will hold food.  We have star themed cloth napkins and I made a cutlery holder out of a gigantic oatmeal container that was empty.  Covered it with paper and had the kids go at it with patriotic stickers.   Looks cute and all the place settings are in there neatly bundled into their napkins and tied with a bit of festive ribbon.

My sister called to update me on my father's situation.  She doesn't understand why his step children from marriage number 2 feel uncomfortable because he left their mother for the woman he is now married to.  My sister says it is just part of his personality.  I didn't know what to say to that (she has been married 3 times herself) so I made hmmmming noises.  LOL 

I hope I always have connection to my children.  Not that I don't want them to fledge and ultimately fly--and i am excited to see the stirrings of that in my 14 y/o--but I want them to always know they are loved and to feel comfortable flying home should they wish to.

1 comment:

Todd said...

Sounds like you're all ready for a great party. WOOT!