Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A Musical Question

So on Sunday I took the kids to a layled service at church.  Part of the service involved some time in small groups.  The idea was to be with people you did not know and get to know them better by working on a "truly excellent question."  A truly excellent question was defined as one that was hard to answer, and maybe didn't even HAVE an answer.  Like how big is the universe, what endures, etc.  Philosophical, you know?

I found a group with 2 people I didn't know, one I did and the tribe and I settled in and did introductions.  I was surprised at how readily and easily KC contributed to the discussion.  As a homeschooling parent it gladdens my little heart because no one is going to look at that boy and say "oh he needs socialization."  Probably they said that with Chet.  Probably they are put off by Rob's very quiet shy demeanor and say that about him.  Neither needed "socializing," in the public school sense and in fact, both did not achieve in those environments.  But I digress.

Our group decided that a truly excellent question was what kind of music was the best. The ultimate. The most awesome.  And of course, that is a  hard question to answer.  Especially for someone like me who adores almost everything. Well, except country music.  I have a hard time with the farm failing, the wife running off with the drifter, the dog getting rabies and the flood.  LOL  Other than that, it is okay.  (and being more honest I actually do like select country artists, just have a limited threshold for the entire genre.)

One of the adults asked KC what kind of music he thought was the absolute best.  He sat there thinking for awhile, little chin in hand.  Now mind you this is a kid who is as diverse in musical interests as me.  He falls asleep each night to classical music, grooved to Bob Marley during feedings (and one of his songs is still his lullaby).  Knows an embarrassing amount of lyrics to most top 40 songs.  And adores the Wiggles and something strange called the Doodlebops.  So I truly didn't know what he would say.  After carefully contemplating a bit, he said, "I guess I would have to say Joe Jencks."  OK, a folk singer who has used his art to highlight injustice in the world.  I can live with that!

No comments: