Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Family Day

The glaucoma test went well. Rob's pressure checks in both eyes were in the low 20's right where his doctor wants them. We don't have to return til mid December which is cool. I am so relieved.

While he and Kirsty were at the medical center, the little kids and I were busy here. We walked downtown and mailed my mom a CD of Joe Jencks music. We ordered new CD's and they arrived yesterday. Joe has played at our church and our whole family loves his music and his message. For all of us to agree on a musician is something of an amazing feat. I am a hip hop/reggae/top 40 kind of gal. Rob likes top 40 but hates rap, Chet is mostly country, Kirsty is oldies, and the littles are into Seseme Street and the Wiggles. However I confess that KC knows an impressive body of lyrics to various top 40 songs. Anyway, I digress. The bottom line is, Joe's music touches all of us and because we have seen him in person KC in particular feels a special connection. I bought an extra CD when I ordered so I could send it to my mom. Cosmically, it came at just the right time.

Mom's husband is dying and it looks that he is moving into the final phase of that journey. He has had a long life; all I wish for him is a peaceful passing. We have seen him, his family have come from near and far to see him. He hopefully knows that he is loved. But for my mom this is all very stressful. Care facilities are really awful to deal with and she has had to be there daily to insure he gets the care he needs. Joe's music will be a balm to her spirit when it arrives.

So we went to the post office and mailed her a CD. Our kids are also super excited about the CD because they sponsored the CD and therefore, their names are listed in the liner notes. They all feel totally famous! LOL

We also went to the bank for my job and then we walked home. It was raining of course, but luckily not hard so it wasn't too icky for being out and the colors in the gardens we passed really popped out at us. We got home and Lissa helped squeeze lemons for lemonade and then I made maple mini muffins. They are obscenely sweet and the kids love them. Just about the time the muffins finished, K and Rob got home so they got a share of the goodies as well.

Later today Lissa napped and KC and I played bingo, Rob and Chet watched a Harry Potter movie (the one that is right before the one that is in the movie theaters now). Then I sorted the boys outgrown clothes and got them on freecycle. Someone is set to pick them up tonight. And we are having fresh corn on the cob with supper. Oh bliss! I adore corn on the cob. It is so great; it is the essence of summer. Well, that and tomato bruschetta with fresh tomatos and basil.

1 comment:

process said...

Sounds like a good day. Will you post your maple muffin recipe?