Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Walking through grief

Last night KC came into my work room at 10 of 9. He was unable to sleep though he admitted he was tired. I brought him upstairs and we cuddled and he revealed that he really wanted to talk some more about Grampa. We talked about some of the things he remembered about Grampa and the things we loved about him.

KC said he wants to be an artist when he grows up and that he would like to draw a picture of his grampa then. I said I thought that was a wonderful idea. (I actually was dozing off and hadn't totally gotten the fact that he was talking about creating this art in the future--our house is festooned with art he creates constantly so I thought it was more immediate.) Anyway, there was a pause and then he said softly that he was afraid he would forget what grampa looked like.

(Mind you there is a picture of the man on our kitchen fridge that was taken at our last visit with him and shows Ken and all the kids together.) I told him that we had that picture and lots of other ones as well and I would print some off for him to keep just for him in his treasure box. He smiled, we sang a few songs, he slept.

Saturday is the memorial service and we will all be making the trip for that. My sister and her three girls will meet us at our house and follow us to Maine as my sis is as directionally impaired as I am. It will be good to see my nieces; I have not seen her eldest since she had her baby and the 2 younger ones who still live at home I rarely get to interact with as well.

1 comment:

Todd said...

So very sorry for your loss. May you have a safe and good time visiting family. *hugs*