Monday, July 27, 2009

Ken Has Died

I just got a call this a.m. that my mom's husband had passed away. It is not a surprise. He was 96 and his health had failed greatly. Some months ago, cancerous tumors were found that were inoperative on a man of his age and health and he was given only a few months longer to live. He was tired in both body and spirit and this release is for him a blessing. And it probably eventually will be so for my mother as well who has had to spend untold hours at the nursing facility to make sure that he received the kind of care that he needed.

The passing was peaceful and that was the thing i hoped for the most. K's mom's passing was not and it hurt those who were with her in those last days and hours. Ken's days were quiet and he was able to smile and kiss farewell those who were closest to him.

He was not a father to me. I was grown and living on my own when my mom married him. But he was an admirable person who I enjoyed talking to and who was a good grandfather to my children. His passing will be hard for 3 of my 4 kids. Lissa is too young to know and understand. Chet has known Ken as a grandfather since he was 3. In fact Chet was part of the wedding party when he and my mother married. Rob is so hard to read that it worries me trying to know when and how he needs solace. KC is all ready upset,but seems to be using his love of art to help him process. He and Ken always shared a special bond. Ken was allready frail and using a walker when KC came home to us but KC was never fazed. He is one who sees clearly to the spirit within and he would make gifts and put them in the walker basket. All during Ken's recent decline he either made pictures for him or took pictures with our camera for him. My mom often said that sometimes the only time he would smile during a day was when she had a "KC story" for him. Luckily all my kids are ample story fodder! :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for you and your family, though I agree that peaceful, expected losses are the easiest to deal with. I hope you're able to take care of yourself while helping your family cope.

Anonymous said...

May peace be with you and your family.