Thursday, July 2, 2009

Singing in the Rain!

Yup, raining again! Poured like crazy when I left for work. I park next door so I knew despite my rain coat I'd get drowned walking to the car. I was right! Locally some flooding; nothing serious but more a the level of annoyance. As in, the street the grocery store is on is flooded and I can't shop there. Not that we will starve; there are other options. But I like shopping in that store because I know where everything is. I don't really fall into the category of shopaholic. I am all about making trips to the store fast and efficient. Ah well.

I got home from work and the heavy rains had abated to the now familiar drizzle. We had supper and the kids clamored for the park. We opted instead for a neighborhood walk. Got them in boots and rain gear and we set out. We visited the ducks that live a few streets over from us. Ducks like this weather. They are very active. They also like the abundance of insects that are around thanks to this weather so if one is a duck, one is living large this summer. Can you tell we talked to the ducks' owner? LOL

Then we walked some side streets just poking and looking. We found a gigantic puddle to tap dance in--yes, really! I wish i had the cam corder. It was Gene Kelly's "Singin' in the rain" danced KC style. We looked at the ubiquetious mosses that have burgeoned in this season of unusual wet. We stroked their velvety softness, and admired the different shades of green. We compared mushrooms we found growing. We admired little rootlets beginning to grow o ut of the cracks and crannies of a stump we were jumping on. We played follow the leader doing silly things and having everyone copy their moves. Watching Lissa try to copy some of KC's moves was hysterical, but I suspect passersby thought the same watching me.

Tomorrow I have the day off. We have shopping and banking and the library to visit. Things that usually occupy our Saturdays but this Saturday we drive up to bring Robbie back from camp. I want to help the kids make some decorations for our 4th of July BBQ (which from all recent weather reports sounds like an indoor event this year) and I want to help them make a Welcome Home sign for Robbie. It will rain. Again. If we have time, we'll start on the ark!

1 comment:

Jo said...

What is up with all the rain? I could have sworn we lived in a desert, but you couldn't tell that anymore. We don't have mosses though, I would like that.