Sunday, July 5, 2009

A Fifth of the Fourth!

Today was a wonderful day. Our friends--the kids' god parents-- are wonderful people. They take their commitment as godparents seriously. Though they lead very busy lives, they are really there for our kids. When Rob had his big coming of age ceremony at church, they were there. It meant a drive in to our state from another state for an 8 a.m. service but they were there. When Lissa and KC were dedicated in church, they were there. And they are there for little things too. Like our BBQ gathering today.

I love that they enjoy the decorations that the kids make. They always take home their placemats and napkin rings and use them at their condo for months afterwards. I love that there is time for adult conversation but also lots of time for them to individually play with our kids. I love the fact that they try very hard to understand my eldest and find a common ground for communication. Not a lot of people do that.

And I love watching the kids when we are together. KC was inside out with excitement from 6 a.m. on. Lissa was reticent when they first arrived but throughout the visit became very engaged and totally lost her shy miss act!

I loved watching Robbie watch his baseball team win while he and his godparents cheered them on.

I loved finding KC sitting in the sandbox in 6 inches of muddy water with a grin on his face. He wasn't supposed to go in said sandbox cause it flooded with all our rain. (this was a covered sandbox folks!!) But he is drawn to water and mud like you would not believe. However in an effort to placate me, he had removed virtually every stitch of clothing before getting in for some good old mud and water play. LOL

I loved watching Lissa literally do chin ups on a window sill that is over her head so that she could peek at KC and his godmother who were in the reading nook on the other side of the window. Man has that girl got upper arm strength.

I loved watching Rob hit a baseball so hard it went onto the roof of our very tall old victorian home.

I loved watching Chet hold it together in a crowded deck and succeed.

I loved loved LOVED Pioneer Woman's pasta salad! K was less impressed--she is more about Catalina dressing. :-) And I loved the Mitford cookbook pound cake. OMG that is so good. I am glad that a lot of it was eaten or I would surely be a large person in short order!

There was laughter and good food and good conversation. And if I had to watch the Red Sox (instead of the Yankees who went and lost anyway!) it was really honestly, all good. And no one mentioned the soggy, sad sack back yard once!

No comments: