Monday, July 6, 2009

Sunny weather--Sunny Thoughts

Gosh 3 days of sun! I am in heaven. Bliss. Mold mildew and arks are becoming a less present aspect of my life. . . though I still won't spend much time down cellar till our dehumidifier runs for literally days!

It is warm and we could eat on the deck. 80 degrees folks. I am stoked. I am so all about warm. 80 for me is the very outer limit of my comfort zone. Below that, I am cold. Truly. Yesterday though I insisted on wearing shorts to the BBQ (it is JULY!) I had to wear a flannel shirt over my red top. Yup, really a fashonista, aren't I! But I was chilly. Today, I am comfy. Not sweaty, but comfy.

We have been to the park and lots of kids were there for my kids to hang out with. Somethng else my mom probably doesn't think about is that our park times are important social times for my kids. We homeschool so I actively seek out venues for them to interact with other kids. The park is one such place. It is also increasingly a multicultural place which gladdens my little heart immeasurably.

Tonight there was a young hispanic dad with his 3 y/o daughter. She was playing with my kids and when they played hide and seek KC for some reason did it in Spanish. The dad noticed and asked KC in spanish if he spoke spanish and KC proudly answered "si!" The dad told me how important it was to him that his daughter Isabelle spoke English as well as spanish. I told him the reverse was true for me with my kids. I firmly believe if we embraced other languages and cultures more fully when our kids were younger there would be less misunderstandings in the world.

But I digress. The real point is that it was just a fun night. I love chatting with people, so there is almost always someone for me to yak with. And I love that my kids are able to quickly form friendships and play pick up games of frisbee, soccer or baseball.

It is good and it is the right thing to do with and for my kids. So I need to just let go of the hurtful words my mom laid on me and enjoy life. It's too short for unnecessary stress.

1 comment:

Todd said...

Happy your day at the park was fulfilling. We used to go to the park, but when you're the only family their most of the time, it stops being worth it. Now I digress... Happy you're getting warm weather and sun! See you on Facebook :-)