Thursday, July 16, 2009

Getting ready for some camping fun

We leave tomorrow to go camping for the first time this season. KC is inside out with excitement and it is very cute to watch him try to explain all to Lissa and pump her up for it as well. So far she has decided that she is sleeping with Ooma and KC and that she will "go playground" with us. LOL Oh yeah that and a whole lot more little girl.

KC was probably just over a year when he went camping the first time. We still had only tents back then but he has always loved camping. "I just love the way the trees smell, Ooma" he said this morning as he tried to decide whether to pack his T shirt with a big mosquito on it and find his one we bought with the campgrounds logo on it last year. I have no sense of smell so I don't know what the trees smell like, but they are big old evergreens so use your imagination. LOL

Lissa was less than a year when she first went camping but by then we had the popup. She took to camping with less enthusiasm. I tend to ignore things like that. I figure she will eventually grow to love some aspect of the experience one way or another. I am nothing if not an optimist.

Last night we were up at the park and there was a mom and 2 kids there. She was, unlike me, one of those perfectly coiffed moms. Hair to a T, nails looking fine. She was friendly and she was playing with her kids, but she was a sharp contrast to me in my cutoffs and pony tail and stubby fingernails. KC ran right up to tell her how many days till we left for camping. The woman looked at my brood and asked if I camped with ALL of them. I said, yup, I actually had one more at home that would be coming as well. "oh. . . " her voice trailed away a bit. "brave mommy" she finally ended with weakly.

The funny part is none of it feels "brave" to me. It is just who we are and what we do.

1 comment:

Todd said...

Oh, sounds like a fun trip you'll be going on. Hope everyone has the bestest time. See ya later!