Sunday, July 19, 2009

Home from Camping

We are home. We are grubby. We had a blast! Friday we got to the campsite and set up. You can't check in till after 1 p.m. so there wasn't a lot of the day left once things were set to order. There was time to take the kids to the playground though--always a big hit, and to go out to a pizza shop found only in the state we were in. KC calls it "the big tomato" and we all adore their food. We ate, came back to the campsite and had a campfire.

We had decided the 2 youngest kids would sleep with me. I recently have read all kinds of bad press on co-sleeping but frankly it works for us. Lissa doesn't normally co-sleep as she has always liked her crib. However there isn't a really safe way for her to sleep in the camper otherwise. So on the double bed it was KC, Lissa and I. I am a light sleeper anyway and I also am a person who doesn't move much in my sleep. When I wake in the morning it is extremely easy to make my bed! LOL Last year, we had Lissa sleep with Kirsty and KC with me and Lissa drove K nuts and maybe vice versa. I joke that I am so boring that children sleep instantly if they lie down with me, but it isn't far from the truth. We read 3 or 4 stories, we sing 10 or 12 songs and then by and large, they are out for the count. So this year we all slept very well, in sharp contrast to last year.

In the evening it began to rain really hard. We even got rain in the camper on the pillows the kids and I slept on. We think it may have to do with the way we had our awning set up, but there was a dryer on site so it wasn't a big deal to dry them the next day. We began our day by visiting a famous local outdoor clothing and recreation store. The weather was supposed to clear mid morning so I thought perhaps we would hike after our visit. Not so, as the skies were still gray and pouring rain. So instead we drove a short way into the city and I took the little kids to a childrens discovery museum and Rob and Kirsty went to the adult art museum right next door. We spent about 2 hours in our separate pursuits and loved every minute of it. Chet opted to stay in the car and read and keep Blake company. Give the guy a bunch of flyers and a camping guide for any region of the U.S. and he is a happy fellow! LOL

By the time we got back to the campsite, midafternoon, the rain had finally stopped and the sun was peaking out. The kids and I scrambled into our suits and headed to the ocean. We are beach lovers, K is not. We danced and played in the surf for more than 90 minutes and then walked back to the campsite, being sure to stop at the candy store. This is something of a family tradition, but I always feel like the shop keepers must feel like we are the locusts descending upon them, so raucous and loud are my brood. They have to see everything, ask about everything, compare everything. . . and then we buy each of them a lollipop and we are done! It cracks me up how important this ritual is to them. From there we walk back to the campsite (1/4 mile) It was also so EASY to do the trek this year. We got a wagon for Yule last year. Well, technically Elisabeth and KC got one but let me tell you, Ooma loves it too. In years past (last year and the year before) I would have one kid in a jogging stroller, one in a sling, and towels slung over my back. People didn't try to hide their snickers as I walked by. I would just smile back and say I was training to be a sherpa for an Everest expedition, but I know it looked pretty funky. The weird thing is, I never felt over burdened. But a wagon???? I was positively FLYING down to the beach and back.

We got home to our campsite, did veggie burgers on the grill and made our trip to the playground. In case you haven't guessed, that is a must do virtually every time we alight back at camp. Headed back to camp and helped set up the fire. Fire gets going, rain starts dropping. Yes, more rain! On the plus side I had so worn out the littles that the idea of sitting in the camper reading was appealing so that was what we did. And by 8 p.m. Lissa and KC were again asleep. Score 2 for the Ooma! LOL

Sunday morning dawned bright and beautiful and crystal clear. Not a cloud in the sky. Probably not in the whole state! But we had to leave and broke camp by 9:30 or so. The kids were all amazingly helpful getting things together. Even Lissa helped to tote and pack! Once home we all unpacked, set the camper back up (to dry) and the tent (also to dry) and began the wash. It is nearly done now and while part of me really wishes we could have had a few more days of camping fun, it is nice to be home as well.

No comments: