Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Family Walk

Every once in a while it strikes me how fast the kids are growing. Last night was one such night. It had rained very hard all day---in a city not far from us someone had to be rescued when the major roadway turned into a raging river. We have only had 3 days of sun so the ground is just so darn saturated. I guess in GA it is really dry--wish I could send this there.

But I could not pump myself up for another saturated night at the park. And Kirsty had a book 2 days overdue at the library. I had a book for Chet that had come in there so I decided the kids and i would walk to the library. It is not too far; about 1/2 a mile from my house there. But here is the amazing thing--Elisabeth walked all the way to and from the library! No stroller, no carrying.

She loved walking on the stone walls with KC and we all admired gardens as we walked along. Only got a couple books at the library as I knew we would have to carry them home and in the back of my mind I was leaving hands free to carry Lissa if she became tired. Silly me!

Today I have awakened to yet more rain, but at least our phones which were out all day yesterday are working. Ever since the ice storm in December there have been problems with a main cable at the intersection of our street and another. We have lost phones about 3 times as a result. It is annoying and a little bit frightening because we are probably the last surviving americans with no cell phones. I used to be very blase about this until KC almost choked to death when he was about 9 months old.

We had switched to Verizon doing our internet and somehow when they swapped us, they accidently disconnected our telephone service. They told us it would take a week to return and repair. I didn't worry--we do have many neighbors close to us, and at least one is home all day.

Then a few nights later, KC choked badly at supper, turning blue as I heimliched him. I cleared his airway and he was fine, but the reality was the time it would take to run next door, and get someone to the door, in to use the phone, would have been too late. So I don't take phone service lightly any more!

1 comment:

Todd said...

Glad he's all right.