Friday, October 29, 2010

Representing on the homeschool front!

It is funny, I just wrote on someone else's blog the other day that I don't get a lot of static over homeschooling anymore.  In many ways, it is more mainstream and less "weird" in the eyes of the larger society.  No longer the sole province of jumper wearing, Bible verse spouting moms, I know so many more homeschoolers now than back 10 or 15 years ago when I was schooling Chet.  The times as they say, are changing.  (and I need to add a disclaimer that I harbor no ill will against the jumper wearing women mentioned above)  I haven't been asked about socialization in years.  I haven't been asked about curriculum unless it was by another homeschooler who wanted to compare notes.  I just haven't been questioned.

Today my kids were invited to a friends Halloween play date.  I brought the 3 youngest.  Though Rob is by far beyond the age of the play group, he isn't really good being left home.  My personal theory is that his PTSD issues surrounding trauma and abandonment kick in and they invariablely lead him to make poor choices.  So I just bring him where ever I go and he never ever complains.  Every few months, I try a few minutes at home with just him and Chet. Thus far, I still am getting proof that this is not something he is handling well.  But I am waaaaaay off topic.

My friend's mom was there, and as luck would have it, she is a retired public school teacher.   She sat down next to KC and asked him how old he was.  He happily replied that he was 6 1/2 

"Oh, you must be in first grade then!  I used to teach first grade."  (oh sweet goddess I think to myself) 

"Yes, but I go to homeschool," he answers.

(pause) " Ah,  . . . homeschool.   Well, have you learned to read a little bit."

"Oh yes!  I all ready know how to read!"  (I bit my tongue bloody to not interject that he has read 7 Magic Treehouse books all ready.

"Um, I see.  . . . (another pause)  Well can you do a little math?" 

KC actually grins.  "I love math!  I can add and count to 100"

"OH!"  (genuine surprise)  "Well then what is your favorite class?"

"That's easy, I LOVE playing the recorder!"

Meanwhile piano music was wafting out from my friends living room.

"Who is playing the piano?"  someone asked.

The answer was Robbie, who has been studying piano only since September.  Yup, I guess we represented!  LOL

2 comments:

LiseyDuck said...

I used to get a lot of stick for being homeschooled when it was actually happening (ages 8-16, so late 80s to mid-90s) and my sixth form classmates tended to assume I'd be really thick and behind when they found out where I'd come from. Strangely, if it comes up retrospectively in conversations I have as an adult people seem interested rather than hostile - certainly I've had more than a few questions from people with children who are questioning the mainstream school system.

Todd said...

Excellent. Thanks for representing us fellow home educators :-)