Saturday, March 5, 2011

Hair Thoughts

So last weekend the boys had their first trips to a real barber.  This weekend it was time to re-style Lissa's hair.  She has had very small twists in her hair for about 3 or 4 weeks. They still really looked good, but I know that her hair really likes to loc and the ends fuse easily so I don't dare let her stay in this style too long.  Also, I have been reading about African threaded hair styles and seeing some cool vlogs about this technique and I am itching to try it on the wee miss. 

But it will wait for another day.  It took all of bath time to get all the twists out (plus a short stint where I did the first part of the back before supper).  I don't mind any of that but what horrified me is how her hair was so dry.  I have to admit that I have been very proud of the fact that her hair has always felt so good.  Supple, soft, not coarse, never brittle or rough.  Well you know they say pride goes before a fall!  LOL  And what I clearly didn't realize is that her hair is dense enough that when I was spraying conditioner on her hair twice daily (yes TWICE daily people) it likely was not soaking through those twists into the hair below.  Truly her hair felt so dry that I didn't want to totally de-tangle it for fear of damage. I may be over-reacting, but I would rather err on the side of caution.

So I wet it down, conditioned the holy heck out of it and finger de-tangled.  Then I lightly paddle brushed the top to smooth it, and put it in two banded ponytails on the side of her head.  We will see how it is in the morning and take it from there.

No comments: