Sunday, July 1, 2012

Rob's Home!

After a week of camp, my Rob is finally home.  He got in just before supper yesterday and we were so glad to see him.  He had a wonderful time, got to go kayaking, bicycling, visited an island and a lighthouse that we love as a family.   New friendships were made and old friendships were deepened.  It was everything you want for your kid to experience at camp.

But the hole that has existed here for a week while he was gone is now filled.  And a week apart shows me how much he has grown.  I know he is on the cusp of young adulthood in my head.  But my eyes and heart don't always see that clearly.   Last night he fell asleep sitting up on the couch.  I went to wake him gently and was struck by how physically mature he is.  My son has a young man's body and somehow that hit me more after not seeing him for a week.

I got an insight too into other ways that Rob has grown and matured.  Yesterday we went swimming at my friend Holly's house.  She said she saw Rob at the mall a few weeks ago.  I knew that as Rob had told me of seeing her.  But what I didn't know was that he saw Holly first, spoke up clearly greeting her and gave her a hug. For Rob, who has struggled so much with feeling safe enough to express his feelings outwardly, that was huge!

Welcome home, son!

2 comments:

Todd said...

Crap! They grow up? Nobody told me this. Ah well, live and learn.

Glad he had a good time, is home, and is maturing. I'm still waiting for that to happen to me. lol

Todd said...

Just making sure I get the followup comments :)