Sunday, November 22, 2009

Potluck Success!

Well Marthanity moments aside, the potluck went really well. Chet and Rob were amazingly helpful getting all the tables and chairs up and the tables set.  Lissa and KC put out the salt and pepper shakers with considerable ceremony and minimal spillage. The color scheme looked appropriately harvesty if I do say so myself. 

And best of all, a BUNCH of people came! Probably 60 to 80 folks all told   And  they had fun!  I didn't plan activities for the kids which was a bit of a concern.  I am personally of the opinion that while there are many times I will do special things for my kids, that also being in a social setting with other kids and adults is fun in and of itself.  Many folks think I am nuts about that , but oddly it works!  The kids had fun and adults who didn't have kids came too and they had fun as well.  That is huge as our church tends to divide into camps at functions--the things that "families" do and the ones for all the other folks!  I really really am passionate about blurring those lines a bit more than they currently are. There is much to be gained by my kids having loving and respectful relationships with a wide variety of people and it is not significant to me that those people be someone in their classes mom or dad. 

But by 6:45 Lissa had pretty much hit the wall.  She was doing well and all of a sudden the sound that I assume terranadons made in their time period echoed piercingly.  Yup, my baby girl was getting a tad anti social.  I was able to get her interested in helping me wipe down a counter and then I gathered the troops and beat feet for the car, worrying that if my children started making people's ear drums bleed that they might not want to come to another such function put on by my committee.  However that meant leaving 45 minutes before it was over--it was a relief to find out that clean up actually finished ahead of schedule and that everyone was happy!

Today the kids were so tired they slept till 7 a.m.   You have no idea how truly late that is in our house. I lay in bed with my eyes wide open, used to being up at quarter to 6 but afraid to move for fearing of waking a little person or two! 

This week ahead promises lots of hustle and bustle as we ready for the onslaught known as loving family who come to eat Thanksgiving dinner!

No comments: